September 6, 2014 by thepolishedbutton
I bought this little shift dress pattern from a friend in an online sewing group recently, but was then stumped as to what fabric to use. Enter this rather retro polyjersey I bought in the Rag Market recently – it’s convincingly vintage, and I thought it would be spot on for this pattern.
I originally intended to do the long sleeve version, but once I started putting it together I was worried it might be a bit OTT with the print, so went for sleeveless instead.
It was a little tricky to negotiate the neckline as the fabric was a bit thick for the scallops, but lots of pressing helped. I chose some chunky wooden buttons but used poppers underneath for easy access when breastfeeding. I’m pretty pleased with it, especially as I used it as an opportunity to have a go at edging the scallops with ricrac – something I spied on Scruffy Badger’s post here.
Please excuse the dodgy photo – the baby woke from his nap and was crying in the background, so it was a rush job!!